How to Stay Married
...not that I have any answers from experience, but I just had a chat with my mom. It started when I asked what went wrong between her and my dad that I should know so I don't repeat their mistakes. (If you don't know, my parents have been divorced since April and separated since Thursday, May 28, 1998.) She was telling me various stories and advise for about 53 minutes. I'm glad to learn about what went on. I used to harbor resentment for mainly my mom, but I now feel that whatever blame - if any - is shared.
She told me, hopefully as most people now know, that communication is essential. If something bothers you, don't let it be ignored by you or your spouse. Sometimes personalities are such that this doesn't work smoothly. This was the case with my mom who needed very calm, relaxed listening, and my dad who, because of his poor family life growing up, could be very confrontational had much trouble sharing. Make sure that you and your spouse will be able to communicate openly and are both comfortable with it. Address things as they come up. Waiting can cause more pain.
Be nurturing of each other and sensitive to each other's needs. Keep your family as your top priority in word and in deed.
Shucks, I forgot the rest. Anywho, enjoy and add what you feel is important.








2 Comments:
sorry, just stumbled across your blog and thought you could use a comment. so, hi. that keeping-married-thing, yeah that's a toughy. but thanks for your tips. i'm sure i'll be fine now.
u go leif, we love u!!
Post a Comment
<< Home