Falling Art
Or maybe it's up and coming. The BBC website reported that Kerry Skarbakka had pictures taken of him falling off the Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art. The photographs are supposed to recall those who "fell to their deaths" from the World Trade Center back on 9/11. This and dozens of other articles state that many are offended by what Skarbakka is doing as they have the right to be, especially those who knew individuals that died this way. Now I'm no art expert, nor have I even heard of Skarbakka before, but I want to briefly intercede on his behalf. He has done this type of art before, so this just a continuation of his own style. Also, He said that this is his "artistic response" to feeling distraught by seeing the original images. Even though his action pulled at the hearts of many, he is not a "phony artist". Everyone should feel free to express themselves in the way that they feel motivated. But, I must concede, tact for the feelings of others is necessary.
So I am torn. However, I do feel that it is worth giving Skarbakka a chance instead of jumping on his jumping solely because it doesn't conform to what we are comfortable with.








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home