http://leif9.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Monday, September 26, 2005 Make a New Post

"A Day as an Illegal Alien" or "What the Heck Was I Worried about?"

We observed Cayon's second day with the curriculum in the morning. Wow, they are right on track. It is truly amazing what the teachers and animators are capable of. I can't wait to see what this will turn into! There's no where it can go but everywhere.

Since my visa expired yesterday, my choices for today were get an extension or leave the country. While Lloyd and Darlene were racing around visiting schools and trying to get the letter from the Permanent Secretary of Education requesting my extension for the rest of the year, I was in a reserved commotion. Looking for the cheapest solution, I investigated a charter ferry to Saint Estatius with no luck. At Lloyd's suggestion, I booked a flight to Saint Martin for this evening and returning tomorrow in case I couldn't get the extension. A half hour before the Ministry of National Security closed, Lloyd got the magic letter there only to find that it had a typo with the wrong date. (National Security said I would be fine as long as they have the paper work today.) The second letter got in right at three o'clock, but (oh no!) they still don't have my passport and application. We raced back, but they didn't even want the application, just the passport! Apparently the Permanent Secretary's signature has ridiculous power and Cristina and I are both legal now. Philip explained that, if we didn't have to wait until the last second for things to work out, God wouldn't be as entertained.

Tonight is the Feast of Mashiyyat (Will). Elvis, Carla and Jamal came. Devotions were beautiful. We had discussion about opening children's class(es) in local community centre(s), as well as developing existing Bahá'í children's classes to fit the needs of participants. Also, Cristina and I requested to meet with the Local Spiritual Assembly of Basseterre to address standing logistical questions and find out how they wish us to help the community. Later, Darlene shared stories of the Bahá'í World Congress in 1992 and from books she's reading. Ruby called and told Darlene that she'll stop by tomorrow to give Cristina and I assignments with special needs children.

...and I was worried about not having enough to do here. Ha! I'm happy.

[Edit: Somewhere between exchanging waves with the pharmacist at the grocery store and our walk home to the Centre (and waking up to race to answer the phone the next morning) I noticed that I feel at home here. I never felt estranged or anything, but now I'm realising that St. Kitts is my home for now and I like it.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home