http://leif9.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Saturday, September 17, 2005 Make a New Post

We three youth got up at 5:15 in the morning! Cristina had signed up for a race a few days ago, and we decided to run in it too. We walked to Basseterre High School, registered, and stretched. Someone asked if we go to Ross (the veterinary university on the island) Now, you should understand that I am not a runner like Philip and Cristina who both did cross-country in high school. My time for the race, which Cristina estimated as three or four miles long, was 36 minutes and change. I came in ninth place! Hooray!!! ... out of nine males. I'm very happy with that though. My strategy was to pray and tell myself that I was only 1 or 2% complete. That way I would spiritually and psychologically prepare for more than I needed to. The organisers of the race were encouraging. Philip was eighth. Cristina was first among the two women. Our pictures and times should be up on http://www.youthimpactskn.org/.

Kay drove us all to the market by the dock, which happens every Saturday. We bought fruit, drank coconut juice from a coconut, and tasted salt fish sandwich and sea-moss. Then we split up (youth sticking together) and explored the shops. Philip and I found the place where we'll get our haircuts. Cristina boldly walked into a Bible book store and asked the owners about joining their Bible study. (I would usually be too shy to that, but I working on breaking out of that.) So now we'll be going to Bible study at one of the island's many Methodist churches on Wednesday evenings.

One thing that I have yet to get used to is an effect of the extremes between poverty and wealth, even though St. Kitts has a very large middle class. A boy asked me for the water bottle I was carrying. I wouldn't mind giving it up to a friend or certainly a dehydrated person, but I do want to give to beggars. I said no, but he persisted. I engaged him briefly, telling him to go to the water sourse, which is free and within significant walking distance. Philip, who has travelled a lot all over the world, said I talked with the boy too much, which might have encouraged him. Sometimes people will ask us for money because it is assumed that white people have money to give. I've heard that the appropriate response is a quick no or just ignoring the person, but I like Kay's suggestion to directly acknowledge the person and say, "Blessings."

It's amazing that right after reading the beginning of One Common Faith yesterday we are suddenly making interfaith contacts. In addition to the Christian connection, Kay met a Hindu store owner and a Muslim women in line at another store. Both are interested in coming to our weekly devotionals and engaging in interfaith dialogue. Yippee!

The youth planned tonight's devotional with the theme of "Love of God." Ten Bahá'ís showed up. I loved hearing the children participate and playing games with them afterward. We ended the evening with planning for tomorrow's children's classes, which should be more organised and enjoyable than last week's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home