Frequent Feasts
I drove us out to Cayon this morning. Aside from occasionally getting to close to the left side of the road, I'm already used to driving on the left. The woman coming from Nevis to talk to the Young Leaders didn't show up, so we were waiting on the campus for an hour and a half. While we were listening to steel pan class practise the National Anthem and some Christmas songs,
the man who cleans the school encouraged us go inside and have our picture taken in front of the band playing. Cristina said should wouldn't mind emailing him the pictures, so he took us on a quest for the computer teacher. Throughout, he struck me as no less than graceful and sincere. However, after bewilderingly witnessing Mr. Morris' disapproval of the man's presence, the (equivalent of) janitor told us that he smokes [marijuana, I assume] and drinks "R-U-M, rum," but these people don't understand that he still thinks clearly. That was a little confusing and dispiriting.
After some more waiting and finding out that the woman from Nevis wouldn't be there until 1 pm, Mr. Morris apologised that we had to wait and offered to take us with him on a field trip up into the hills. Twenty of his rode up into the cane fields and rainforest in his pickup truck (him, a student and Mrs. Hutchinson up front; and 15 2nd formers, Cristina and I in the back). You can't afford to be claustrophobic on the island. The views were amazing! The wind (and overgrown sugar cane) in my face was refreshing. The whole steep and rocky
Up at this farm in the hills Mr. Morris collected wood for posts for a fence at the school with sporadic help from the students. They (and Cristina and I) got distracted chasing and running from cattle through paths in the rainforest and marvelling at the cooped up cows. We met the owner (?) of the land, Rasmus. He was interested in what and why we are doing on the island. He asked if I am a Christian. Even though we are making every effort to keep the Faith out of our work with the schools to keep this SED project as no-strings-attached as possible, I had to answer, "I'm a Bahá'í." He knows a bit about the Faith and is friends with Rosemary. I kept my mouth more or less shut.
Mr. Morris treated Mrs. Hutchinson and the two of us to lunch: pot fish, green banana (prepared like mashed potatoes) and some deliciously prepared vegetables. Yummy in my tummy! The woman from Nevis did come at 1 pm. She spoke to the Young Leaders about some organisational and planning skills, while we looked on.
Mamma, you'll appreciate this. Twice today, we heard a song on the radio with the following chorus. "Noni! Plant your noni. Drink your noni juice!" Also, thank you to Mamma and Pappa for sending my Persian books! They arrived today at the airport, 30.55 hours after you shipped them.
When we heard Suheil's "Good night" from outside, we remembered that tonight is Feast! Cristina entertained while I scrambled to "select" the readings. As Gene and her boys were about to leave, Carla and Jamal arrived. So we had another devotional, followed by a consultation. Then Albert got there. Devotional #3. The poor man has such a hard time. He loves the Bahá'í Faith dearly and longs for growth, but his family is not as passionate and he is loosing hope about growth in the Caribbean. Each Feast was great, but we didn't serve snacks! Only now do I remember that Thaddeus cited that the Writings said food and drink should be served at Feast even if it is only bread and water – the things we actually do have.








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home