http://leif9.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 Make a New Post

For some reason I didn't feel like or get around to journalling since Friday. I've been just typing all these entries on my computer and haven't got around to posting them. Since everyone staying at the Bahá'í Centre (about 10) has to share one computer, I haven't had much time to respond to emails. I'll get there.

On Saturday and Sunday, we finished the Virtues Project™ training with Lynda. All the information and skills we learned, such as spiritual companioning and setting clear boundaries, will be invaluable if I decide to go into teaching, definitely when I'm a dad, and even with other relationships. Schools all over the world should adopt this into their curriculum. It's simple and profound. It is based on the importance of educating children from the Bahá'í teachings, but it doesn't mention the Faith at all.

Everyone here is different and I want to comment on all them. I've known Cristina of East Longmeadow, Massachusetts, since summer 2001 at Badasht Academy at Green Acre. She's very talented at the flute, great with children, and a little buggy. Daren of Trinidad is very active in the Ruhi Institute process and knows full well the importance of reflection. He is creative, awesome with junior youth, and firm in sticking to the Guidance from the Bahá'í institutions. I don't know where Darlene is from, but she has served at the Bahá'í World Centre for 5 years. She is strong-willed, hex-lingual, and a great story teller. Doreen of Trinidad (originally from England's countryside) is Daren's loving mother-in-law and a member of Trinidad's National Spiritual Assembly. I love to be around her because of her compassion and her resolute dedication to prayer. Kay grew up in Minnesota, moved to Alaska to go to school and wound up staying. She came here to St. Kitts last year for six months and couldn't stay away from this project. She is my resource for important information about living here - very sweet and in touch with the local community. Lloyd is an Auxiliary Board Member for Propagation and a pioneer from Bermuda to Nevis for 12 years now. He is the creator (or tool of the Greater Creator) of this project, who is fun-loving, responsible, and a "thrilling" driver. Lynda, who has lived in St. Lucia for the past year and half after living in eastern Canada, has been our devoted deepener in the Virtues Project. She is gentle, loving, and notices the best in everyone. I just met Michael at Green Acre last month even though we both grew up in New Jersey. He is quite vocally and computerly inclined as well as being very helpful and courteous. Millie is a member of the National Spiritual Assembly of the Leeward islands and Lloyd's wife. She is quiet, observant, and caring. Philip of Virginia near DC (and the rest of the world) is lots of fun. He is stationed in St. Maarten but might switch over to St. Kitts. He is very knowledgeable and funny. Rebecca, though only here for 6 months, is very actively involved in the community, both personally and through organisations. She's a good singer, too. Ruby is a counsellor for one of the schools involved with the moral education training. She is very appreciative to be involved with its development. She's quiet so I don't know her well, but she may be requiting me to help with a project at her school. Sharil of Canada and Barbados is an Auxiliary Board Member and loves laughing and dancing.

Yesterday and today were filled with planning and running around Basseterre to prepare for the workshop that begins tomorrow! Some of us went to the Ministry of Education to make hundreds of copies and put together the folders. From the roof of that building (and almost every building on the island) you can see the ocean. I've only seen the Caribbean side so far. It's quite beautiful.

Haha! On St. Kitts and in most of the Caribbean electricity outlets come in two varieties (110 volts and 220 volts). Lloyd bought a fan (EC$160) for the guys to have downstairs. Philip and I immediately set it up and plug it into the 220V outlet, and its motor promptly burned out. Oops! Always pay attention to the voltage (and current) when travelling abroad. I'm putting a cautionary label on every 220 outlet in the Bahá'í Centre.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home