We Are Not Alone.
I just "recieved" a letter from my Aunt Edith from South Africa!!! (She sent it to my mom, who is reading it to me over Skype.) She is doing volunteer work in the archives office of the National Spiritual Assembly of that country. She pioneered there with her husband Lowell Johnson in the 1950's. My friend Tandeka is from that country. She speaks Xhosa - one of the 13 official languages - which has at least three different clicks: "C," "Q," and "XH." It took me five weeks at Green Acre to figure out how to make the sounds, but I digress. Aunt Edith was my inspiration for going on this year of service because she has been so dedicated to serving the Cause. I long to do the same. I sure wish I knew in what directions (education, career, location, family) that goal will lead me, but I am also happy to enjoy the ride and discover them as I go.
Again, I must say how cool the blogosphere is. A friend in French Guiana found me through it today. Wade and Briana are doing research about the phenominon. I am writing this "journal blog," as Wade calls it, thinking that it will be read by friends (and anyone) throughout the rest of the world. People do have internet access here, but I wonder how many Kittitians will find it. (Only the other Bahá'ís at the Center know about so far.)
Our distress over slow progress in St. Kitts was countered this evening by Shoghi Effendi as he quoted `Abdu'l-Bahá:
Be not concerned with the smallness of your numbers, neither be oppressed by the multitude of an unbelieving world… Exert yourselves; your mission is unspeakably glorious. Should success crown your enterprise, America will assuredly evolve into a center from which waves of spiritual power will emanate, and the throne of the Kingdom of God will, in the plentitude of its majesty and glory, be firmly established.
A sudden, powerful and brief rainfall.








2 Comments:
The blogosphere is definitely an interesting phenomenon. I've met some truly fabulous people through my Livejournal, and it's amazing to talk to people from around the world as well as random people from South Jersey who actually know me IRL. Très intéressant.
I'm glad to hear that you're having a great time in St. Kitts; your blog is definitely very interesting to someone like me who's so frazzled by coursework that she hasn't had an intellectual conversation since the last time she and her boyfriend discussed cultural diversity as represented by the domestic availability of foreign snacks. Oy. I'm glad to see you haven't lost an ounce of the brilliance you had in high school, but I'm not at all surprised.
Anyway, I just figured I'd drop you a line and comment with my two cents about the blog issue, and I'm glad to see that you're doing so well, Leif.
Wow! I finally realised which Briana you are. It's great to hear from you! Your allusions make perfect sense now. I'm glad you're doing well too!
Post a Comment
<< Home