Whoa There!
So I was upstairs juggling the computer and Bible study, with the former winning my attention. (See the post below this.) Cristina was napping. LD was out with Halva. Darlene was taking care of business at the Ministry of Education. I heard a THUD! on the front door. I jetted to the balcony to see a man at the door carrying a bag of bread. "Hello?"
Nondescript yell.
"Hello?" (This time at the other front door. The Center has two.)
"Bahá'í?"
Nod. "This is the Bahá'í Center," motioning the sign above our heads.
"Got a match?" He shows me his broken cigarette.
"No."
Loud, nondescript yell, while pointing at my feet.
"What?"
"Want some bread?," holding up the plastic bag with two broken pieces of a long bread.
"No." (I wanted to convey more: that I appreciated the gesture, but we have our own food and, honestly, I was a little frightened.)
Some more inaudible phrases and indications towards my feet.
"Huh?"
"Are you a dunce?"
"... No."
Nod. "Goood."
"Are you a man?"
"... Yes."
Nod. "Goood." He whispered, "Close the door."
I tried to read him. I couldn't discern his mood. He seemed stern, bordering on angry, but sometimes let a strangely sincere smile sneak through. His eyes were the wierdest part. They didn't seem particularly bloodshot, which would have given him away, but they weren't ... I don't know how to describe it. It's like they were coming in and out of reality. They just freaked me out. I slowly shut and locked the door, keeping eye contact. "Mmmmm......" came from him all the while. Through the door's window, I could see him turn and exit the gate, leaving it open, and start up the road.
I was stuck in thought. Should I have firmly told him to leave? What would he have done? Was he pensive or high? Would he have turned violent? At least he was elderly and unarmed. Through the window, I could see him walking. He abruptly said while turning back to meet my eyes, "AND STOP WORRYING." I wouldn't avert my gaze. He said something else inaudible and continued walking. He stopped and stared at another house and spoke at whoever he saw. He stayed in the road when a car came and eventually walked away.
This was the same man who stood at the gate before talking to Darlene and complementing Cristina's powerful flute playing. We invited him to the Birth of the Báb celebration. He later acknowledged that he didn't forget about it and something came up. So I don't know what to make of the experience.








1 Comments:
Leif! I can't believe this! We met at Greenacre this summer! I'm the one from Congo currently serving in French Guiana. You gave me your email address but I lost it and I was so dissapointed, but I was looking through Nabil's blog, who is a friend of a friend serving at Townshend, hoping to see some pics of my brother who is going to school there and when I randomly clicked on one of the comment links I saw you had left a comment! Hope that wasn't too confusing...but it's strange how these things work out eh? Love your blog and I'll check it out regularly to see what you're up to!
Hope we can keep in touch and share experiences!
Post a Comment
<< Home