Kittitian Crime
I am planning on starting a series of installments about various aspects of Kittitian culture. I hadn't considered mentioning this one like this.
This morning I awoke at 8:00 am to the phone ringing – nothing new. It was Dr. Ruth Thomas saying she would be by in a little while to drop off the digital and overhead projectors for this weeks Virtues Project training at Cayon High School. Over the wall, I told the still-in-bed Lynda the message, so I was free to lie back down. At 8:07 an altercation in the street could be heard, riddled with the word "ƒ∪¢κ." That can't be Ruth, I thought. I heard a smash or bang. Definitely not. It was and Lynda went down to meet her. As I walked to the balcony, I heard another similar noise. When I got there, I saw the taxi quickly pulling forward,a young man running the opposite direction around the corner, and Ruth and Lynda standing in the flash rain shower in disbelief.
The driver came in. Lynda doctored up deep cut in his shoulder. In Lynda's estimation, the man who ran was a Rastaman on the ganja. He didn't like how close the driver pulled up next to him and he made in known verbally and by smashing the driver's window with a beer bottle. The driver called the police and TDC Insurance to report the situation. It's 9:00 am and I don't think the police have arrived as yet, even thought their station is a one minute drive away.
There is increasing violent crime in St. Kitts, as there is throughout several of the Caribbean islands. The driver said, "Now I'd get in trouble if I did anything," implying a vengeful attitude. There have been at least four murders (and many more stabbings and shootings) on the island since I have been here. I assume many Kittitians are getting scared. I haven't been. I'm still not, but the "what if" flashes through my mind. I hope and pray that I would remain level headed and do whatever would be necessary to pacify the situation and reduce harm to others. A story of `Abdu'l-Bahá comes to mind. He told His companions that if someone came into the tent wielding a sword, intending to harm them, He would attempt to protect them.
Parents and loved ones, worry not. There is no immediate danger. Nothing has changed from the time I arrived. I just feel it is now appropriate to mention this aspect of life in St. Kitts because it happened so close to home – in front of the Baha'i Centre. Safety-wise, I suppose it is similar to staying in a major U.S. city, even which I know my parents would be concerned about. I assure you that we are taking the appropriate precautions. Lynda says she is now justified in her nagging us to keep the front door closed and locked at all times. I agree and am thankful.
I am here for good reason and thus feel protected.








2 Comments:
Hi Leif- What can I say.I am one of those mothers who will always be worried. Now I miss LD all the more. But I know in my heart that you and LD and those who arise to serve the Cause will always be protected. "Whatever God wills,He willeth..." Yes,do exercise safety.An old Muslim saying goes,"Trust in God,tie your camel"..Be well and be assured of our prayers.
Thank you, Guia! :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home