http://leif9.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Sunday, December 25, 2005 Make a New Post

Christmas

Zzzzz. Ring! Ring! "Good morning. Bahá'í Centre." "Hey, Leif. It's Jaz. I'm coming over on the eight o'clock ferry." "I'll be there." When I get there, there is no Jaz. I wait for the next ferry which delivers the Williams family. Lloyd calls and clarifies that I'm to pick up Jaz on Market Street and take him to the Marriot. I want to hear him play sometime.

After picking up Millie's pawpaw casserole from the Caribe Queen, I went to Donsie's house for Christmas dinner, which was actually served around 2 pm. I was redirected to pick up Lloyd and his in-laws who were on an island tour in Albert's bus when the something went wrong with the spark plugs. The dinner was very good. I didn't mingle with the core family of the house, but I played with Mauréley (Donsie's granddaughter) and chatted with Vera (Millie's Bermudian sister).

Poor Halva. I'm pretty sure the sweet, kind gentleman spent the day by himself. He came by the Centre and asked if I could look up the phone number of a friend of his from the states. My pleasure, but my Internet connection stopped working.* He wanted to call his family in St. Croix, but that didn't work either. Because Christmas is culturally the time for everyone to be with people who care about them, it must be really hard for him. He's not the only one. I saw old men alone in town. Of course, I was kind to him, but I wish I could have done more to make him feel loved.

*The Cable & Wireless help desk is closed until tomorrow. Nothing I've tried has worked to fix it. I'm pretty sure God took the Internet away from me because I am too attached to it. I'll pray for detachment. It should do me some good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home