SERIOUSLY!
The junior calypso show was amazing last weekend. It showed how much potential this island has. It's all there in the hearts of those junior calypsonians and whoever wrote their songs. Tonight Halva and I went to the ferry terminal for part of a real adult calypso show. First I had on toursit goggles and thought it was fun. But everything about it was mediocre (if that!) in comparison to the junior show. It started over two hours late. The band was not up to snuff. The lyrics were horrific – about nothing.
I'm sorry to be critical, but Kittitians can do better than this. I know because I have seen plenty of evidence.
The worst part – I am ashamed for not leaving the second it started – was a song performed by a woman called Foxy, "Are You Ready to Whine?" She asked for a brave volunteer. She urged the 11-year-old boy to dance, lifting up his shirt. He did. She grinded ... my Lord, the poor boy! I can't bear to type it, but you get the idea. The so-called "men" of the audience laughed and cheered. I am so mad that it was allowed to happen. Here in a "Christian" nation. On Christmas Eve.
On a lighter note, Halva greeted several people in town with a clearly heartfelt "Seasons Greetings." That made me happy.








4 Comments:
ah, i love you. let's investigate?
I'm game. :-)
teehee! Leif and Admirer are cute.
At least it was the junior Calypso kids who set a good example.
Post a Comment
<< Home