Jaz Plays Jazz
Today I did half my laundry and started the huge project of deep cleaning the kitchen. I'm sick of these unwelcome roaches and
Tonight I drove Jaz to the Marriot again. On the way he told me that a couple of Harry Belafonte's songs, including "Banana Boat," were stolen from Kittitian canefield workers and songwriters who didn't study copyright laws. He also told me that true calypso is something only West Indians can perform. It's ingrained in the culture.
I stuck around to hear him play for a bit, while I read some more of Gary Matthews' The Challenge of Bahá'u'lláh. Boy, he is good! He mostly plays American music at the hotel beacuse that's what the guests like. The place is packet with toursits! Attention potential Caribbean tourists: if you're planning on liming in the hotel, having some drinks at the bar, visiting the casino, you might as well stay in the States. If you're coming to the Caribbean or anywhere for that matter, see the real country. I'm sorry, but it's ridiculous to see all these comparatively rich visitors relaxing while a couple miles aware many people are starving or at least living at a lower standard of living.
Anywho, I'm happy to have such a musical evening!
To top it off, I spoke to some of my dearest and bestest friends in the world tonight over Skype! I am happy!
*I can't help the urge to alliterate
Current Music: "Lazy Days" by Enya








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home