http://leif9.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Monday, February 20, 2006 Make a New Post

bittersweet.

Today was mostly characterized by joy.

Cristina and I had appointments to work with junior youth and youth at Cayon and Washington Archibald High Schools this morning. Neither went as planned, but the way we consulted, thought on our feet, and whipped up something at least moderately effective was a testament to how we've grown while being here. We had no one to turn to for emergency last second advice, but we did just fine anyway. Teaching is definitely possible. Not easy, but possible.

I tried ital food (vegetarian Rasta food) for the first time with Becky and her sister. Very good.

I wound up driving CJ to her basketball practice in Cayon. [Added: pictures] I was initally annoyed, but I read a sweet book about a girl's perspective of pilgrimage in 1919 when `Abdu'l-Bahá was in Haifa. I also read some great material by Him about the unity of religion. Reality is singular; so is religious truth.

I returned to the Centre to find emailed pictures of the beloved NEBY Fest. I got to chat with friends who were there and get snippets of the joy they felt.

They bitter part came when I found out someone I have respected, admired, and appreciated for years passed away suddenly this evening. Please keep him and his family in your prayers. It's beatiful that he was still able to do what he loved, serving the sevants of Bahá'u'lláh, until his last day on this plane. Thank you, Alex...

What I get out of this is that you really can't take anything for granted and that God is really in control. Even though I want very much to work and Green Acre and the CTY programme this summer, I really have to let go of my attachment to certain results and just go with the flow and do my best along the way. Living in an imagined future (even though it's just months away) takes away mental and emotional energy that, in my heart, I would rather be dedicating to the people of Saint Kitts and Nevis. I need to live in the now. "We are walking in Thy path and have no aim or hope save the diffusion of thy fragrance..." Loosing sight of that would be a disservice to myself and those I love.

Current Music: "Say Uncle" by Vienna Teng

3 Comments:

At February 21, 2006 1:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to sound like some cliched movie reviewer. But the last paragraph is profound and inspiring.

 
At February 21, 2006 1:40 pm, Blogger Emily said...

Hey Leif, this is Emily Finan. Time by time I stop in and read your blog and I can say that you are truly an inspiration to me and I'm sure many others. Keep on at it!

 
At February 23, 2006 10:04 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

amen... God really is in control, and what you've written is blessedly true. hang on to the present and keep on doing the next right thing.

The source of all good is trust in God, submission unto His command, and contentment with His holy will and pleasure.

The essence of love is for man to turn his heart to the Beloved One, and sever himself from all else but Him, and desire naught save that which is the desire of his Lord.


Bahá'u'lláh, Words of Wisdom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home