http://leif9.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Saturday, September 10, 2005 Make a New Post

What a day!!! It has been the best so far! After getting up at a more leisurely hour (7:15) and tidying up the Centre, we took the ferry to Nevis. Millie invited us offer to have lunch. The ferry was cool; they played some South African band's DVD in the cabin. Jason, a friend of Lloyd and Millie, drove us to their house. Before lunch, we drove out to this lettuce farm that Lloyd runs (via some of Jason's errands). The 3/4 acre farm uses the hydroponics method - very efficient, safe, and brilliant. I'll hopefully add pictures eventually. The Marriot is his primary customer. The lunch made with love was delicious - except for the ginger beer (similar to root beer, but spicy). We met the Williams's cute 8-month-old grandson, Terron. Then we went to the beach for over an hour. Since it was earlier in the day, you could actually see to the bottom very clearly. Cristina, Philip, and I built a send fort and interacted with the crabs. We also listened to stories about `Abdu'l-Bahá and visiting the Houses of Worship in Panama and New Delhi.

While we liming (Trinidad phrase equivalent to chilling) at the Williams, I overheard Lloyd on the phone with L.D.'s dad. Lloyd told him that L.D. is most needed in St. Kitts at the moment. So I hope he gets down here ASAP.

When we got back to the Centre on St. Kitts, we fuddled around and then rushed to prepare the devotional that happens every Saturday at 6 p.m. There was a great turnout of local Bahá'ís. Keva came too. We started 45 minutes late. I got to play ball with some of the children beforehand. The devotional went well. We we finished by singing "Here My Cry, O Lord!" which I haven't heard before but is a popular Christian song on St. Kitts. It's from Psalms 61. Keva led it. Towards the end, Ivan, an elderly local Bahá'í, had an epileptic seizure. It was quite unnerving for me and some of the children, but Kay and Sharil confidently kept control over the situation while others attentively assisted. A healing prayer was said. The EMT's came and brought him to the hospital; Kay went with. Sharil sat down with the children to help them understand.

After the Unity Feast Keva, Philip, Daren, Michael, Cristina, and I walked to the grocery store because Keva needed food and we needed paper towels. On one road she led us down, someone offered us a smoke and some people started shouting at us. We just ignored and kept walking.

Later Rebecca stopped by after her basketball game and invited us to go to a movie with her and her friend Cory. Daren, Philip, Cristina and I went. It ended up being Four Brothers. If you haven't seen it, don't. Filled with senseless violence, murder, impulsive and irrational decisions, and sexual content, it was exceedingly disturbing and disheartening. Cristina was very much affected. The experience makes me glad to have been moderately oblivious to pop-culture and the mainstream media for the past two years. It also reminds me of the state of crisis that humanity is in and the necessity of devoting my life to its revival. The four of us discussed this when we got home.

Kay just got back to the Centre (1:15 a.m.). Ivan is okay. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home