The Big Day
[Update: Whoa! I did not inteand to post the stuff that was at the beginning of this post. It was the notes Cristina and I took while we were consulting with Lloyd and Millie. They did not reflect our current opinions and endeavors. From today's (Sunday's) home visits, we have decided to start a campaign to get the Bahá'ís more actively and more committedly involved in the study circle process. Fear not.
As to how study circles could be done without mentioning the Bahá'í Faith, that's something Darlene recommended for circumstances in which people would be turned off to study circles just because it cones from Bahá'ís. It would be presented as a course that anyone can benefit therefrom while saying that questions about the Faith would be answered at a different session.]
We bought fruit and veggies at the Saturday morning market. We saw Miss Lake from the Convent school at a hardware store. She says she won't be needing us to give virtues classes until January because her students will be busy with exams. Hmph! Hopefully, we can talk to the principal and still work something out for this trimester. Interestingly Convent is the opposite of Cayon. Instead of the teachers struggling against the administration to keep the moral education program afloat, the principal is more excited about introducing virtues into the classroom than the teacher in charge.
Lavonne came in the morning to continue our exploration of the moral education programme. She is becoming a closer friend. She expressed interest in learning about the Bahá'í Faith, but in time...
I felt rushed and worried about finishing everything properly and on time up until the program started. Everything came together wonderfully. Lesson learned: Planning ahead is imperitive. It is rare that I formally do so. Since no one is really telling us what to do with the moral education curriculum, Cristina and I need to take initiative, be bold, ask questions, use wisdom, make mistakes and, of course, be detached from results. (Lavonne recommended that in a supportive way.)

The event. The children and youth put on a great skit on Bahá'u'lláh's loving-kindness to those in need. There was a good turnout. In addition to the regular families, Rosemary came. Three people from Bible study wound up coming. I'm interested to find out what what they thought of Bahá'u'lláh. The snacks were delightfully tastey. I made the hummus! Cristina made amazing fudge.
The children and youth. I was frustrated with planning the skit because they weren't listening, but thankfully Rebecca came. She's much better with this kind of thing. But, fear not, I am not completely inept. I was able to give a "virtues guidance" to the boys. They told me what virtues they needed to exhibit on this special Holy Day and were willing to hold themselves to it. Later, Haile wanted a "lift up." He hugs me so tight. I love him!
Anthony, an online friend, asked me if I miss home. I had to say no; this is my home for now. Just like Rutgers was my home last year and Green Acre was my home over the summer. The home I grew up in was a little dysfunctional, so I'm sort of used to that. Now it's changed a bit with my mom being remarried and my dad being more distant. Don't get me wrong. I definitely dearly miss Pappa, Mamma and Linnea and my happy memories with them. But I don't miss the environment of the house I grew up in because it seems rather foreign. Or at least as foreign as another living situation I haven't been in. The home I look miss / look forward to is the one I will have a decade from now.








1 Comments:
Whoa...how does that work? (Doing study circles that aren't connected to the Faith)
Post a Comment
<< Home