First Time This Type of Teaching
This morning we got to Sandy Point Primary School just in time for the 30 second orientation for substituting. Then I faced the class of fourth graders. The next-door teacher introduced me and warned them to behave with the scary, tattered belt. I copied their assignment onto the board. The children couldn't read my cursive. (They must use a different penmanship book down here, not to mention my less than perfect handwriting.)
Those boys and another pair were having trouble bickering about something. Now, I only understood about a quarter of what was said in that room. Using some of the Virtues Project knowledge, I usually responded to disagreements or upset students by asking what would help and if they could be more respectful and understanding, whether or not I understood what the problem was. It usually worked. So all I did was ask these boys to focus on their work and to be respectful and peaceful. I guess that's all they need. A testament to the prevalence of capital punishment, if you are blissfully oblivious to the situation in many parts of the world, is that even the other children were recommending that I give an upset, and thus uncooperative, student "licks."
- "Teacher, that looks like a V." "Thank you. It's an R."
- "Teacher! I could go the bathroom to peepee?" "You have one minute. Ready? Go!"
- "Teacher, is that at zero or a six?"
- Two boys in unison, after raising their held hands: "You're the best teacher we ever had." "Wow! Why?" "Because you're kind to us."
I never really yelled, just an occasional raised voice to help them re-focus their attention on their work. There are obviously ways I could improve (keeping the faster-finishers occupied while others are hardly starting the assignment; encouraging a distraught girl to write so the next teacher won't verbally force feed the assignment into her brain; and having and effectively enforcing clear, concise rules), but they were hardly discouraging. It was my first experience of the kind. I think I did very well for having to official qualifications. It was definitely positive and enjoyable and shows that I am capable of teaching if I choose to.
On our lunch break, CJ and I stopped by Buelah's home in Middle Island. [Linnea, you're right! I need to bring my camera more and share pictures of everything I am doing.] It was wonderful to talk with her and Marissa. She is a caring mother. We discussed children's class and an Ayyám-i-Há party.
Tyrell-Williams Primary School. Work with the reluctant readers: Some of them are quiet reserved and reluctant. It was a challenge, but I could see baby steps of progress being made in some of the children. The time was too short. Work with the "behaviorlly-challenged": Cristina and I had a rather rocky presentation to start with, but Ms. Thomas showed up and saved the day. We'll be back next week.
I visited Ilva and Elvis. They were so warm and welcoming. It felt wonderful to just sit and say prayers with them. She gave me a pinable and tangerines!








1 Comments:
oo I'm sooo excited about this entry! It's great that they responded so well to positive reinforcement!! This sound a lot like a pioneering victory! Maybe you can encourage them to look for kinder ways of guiding their peers to good behavior in response to their suggested "licks." It probably seems revolutionary to your students that anger isn't your first response.
Post a Comment
<< Home