http://leif9.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Saturday, February 25, 2006 Make a New Post

Happy Ayyám-i-Há

It behoveth the people of Bahá, throughout these days, to provide good cheer for themselves, their kindred and, beyond them, the poor and needy, and with joy and exultation to hail and glorify their Lord, to sing His praise and magnify His Name.
– Bahá'u'lláh
All over the world Bahá'ís have begun celebrating Ayyám-i-Há.

Here in St. Kitts we had a party this afternoon to ring in this joyful period. It was truly wonderful. It went very smoothly. CJ planned the programme. I finished up the yard work. Darlene gave a sweet (beautiful sweet, not Napoleon Dynamite-sweet) introduction to and explanation of these Intercalary Days.

The children through youth put on another excellent skit. It told of a time that enemies came upon Bahá'u'lláh's home in Baghdád at night to harm him. Instead of running, as the believers begged Him to, He welcomed the would-be attackers as guests. He generously gave them all scrumptious food, and they were transformed into friends.

There was great food brought by guests and made by us in collaboration with the children and junior youth.

CJ and I learned valuable lessons in working with children and planning events. Children need to be directed, not democratically included in every step of a process. They like it better and so do we. Umm... I can't remember any other lessons right now.

The only thing that didn't go well was the fiasco after some violence between two boys. It started with an accident (as I understand it), but the next boy, who is very accustomed to violence responded the way he knew how. Needless to say, the mother of Boy 1 was infuriated. Boy 2 was sent home by three angry mothers. I sat with him outside the gate. I tried to build him up. The poor child (who happens to be mentally challenged) just doesn't recieve enough love. I encouraged him to remember that God loves him (after deducing that his parents don't show their love to him) every time someone hurts him. We hugged a couple times. He needs so much more!

Darlene and I spent a half hour at Ruby and Ruth's. They're wonderful people. They care so much about the children of the island and take their jobs (primary school guidance counsellor and director of curriculum development) very seriously.

Overall, it was a great day! Truly charactarized by joy. I hope the rest of Ayyám-i-Há is just as pleasant, for us and for you!

Pictures are forthcoming. have arrived.

2 Comments:

At February 27, 2006 2:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds lovely. Happy Ayyam-i-Ha.

 
At February 27, 2006 11:17 pm, Blogger juicemilk said...

HAPPY AYYAM-I-HA LEIF!!!

*asplosion*

*confetti*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home