http://leif9.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 Make a New Post

"Mexican rape women 'denied help' "

[See update bellow.]

... in two ways. The BBC article only says that the injustice is that rape victims are being withheld from having abbortions for stigmatic, dogmatic and political reasons I don't care to get into. It is a crying shame that the fundamental issue at hand is completely ignored in the article:
Rapes. Are. Happening.
We all know that the media simply doesn't focus on the big issues like the genocide in Darfur, hundreds of millions of starving people on every (populated) continent, governments' members intentionally leaving their constituents in poverty. You would think thattoday being International Women's Day is enough reason to address the sexual oppression of 50 percent of humanity. I won't go off on a rant beacuse most of my readers understand where I'm coming from anyway.

In honour of today I will finish reading Dr. Michael Penn's essay published in The Bahá'í World 2003-2004, "Inner Enlightenment, Moral Refinement, and Justice: Antidotes to Domestic Violence."

[Here in St. Kitts and Nevis it is Women's Month. From the five minutes I heard of Voices on WINN FM that day, I heard that there is a very healthy attitude among at least a portion of the polutation about the advancement of women. Regarding the question of a female prime minister, the consensus (from both male and female callers) was that it would be very beneficial. They said that women are more qualified for decision making as they do so in the home, where fathers are usually absent. One caller said a woman is more likely to be honest in handling money – they call this transparency and value it very much here.

I'm still reading the essay by Michael Penn. It is good!]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home