Again, Clement drove us to Cayon High School in the morning. We were there to observe the new curriculum unfold. There were many positive things about this first known marriage of Breezes of Confirmation and the Virtues Project within a curriculum in the world. Many of the senior youth animators enthusiastically dove into this new format of interactive and engaging education and development. We also noticed a few areas that could be improved. Por ejemple, teachers need to step down from there powerful role while the animators step up to the plate and be confident in their own creativity and patience. This will allow the junior youth (first formers, ages 11-13) to feel comfortable to express themselves and form healthy and helpful bonds. The session ended abruptly with the arrival of seven or eight of Ministers and high-ranking officials of St. Kitts's government. Among the few that spoke, was the Minister of Education, who held up the Breezes book during his speech! We had the opportunity to meet with several of them briefly before moving on to the next school.
When Clement dropped us off at Washington Archibald High School, he asked us to say good morning to the principal who, we soon learnt, is his wife. The world (and island) is so small. This visit was very much like yesterday's visits in which we primarily presented the curriculum that we have to offer. This school is not yet a pilot school but would very much like to be. (It seems as though every school we visit can't get enough of us. I hope we can handle the exceeding enthusiasm.) Mrs. Williams, the principal, also expressed interest in the young males of the Noble Youth Alliance - Philip and I - interacting with the troubled male students at her school. She wants them to hear positive encouragement out of the mouths of males they can relate to, as opposed to the predominantly female lot of teachers. We also briefly visited the private St. Christopher's Preparatory School. The small school already has some moral and religious education but is, by no means, as interactive as the curriculum we are offering.
A handful of the group went to town to visit the post office. Then we checked out a computer store and and the Cable and Wireless office for how to allow multiple computers to have internet access at the Bahá'í Centre, finding no conclusive solutions as off yet.In the evening we reflected on our observances at Cayon and planned some recommendations for improvement.








3 Comments:
It sounds like you're really excited about the curriculum you're offering. Have you ever considered becoming a teacher as a career?
Actually, the counter doesn't give me that kind of detail. I've narrowed down your location to McCormick or U of Minnesota, but not your individual identity. I see that you're probably one of my friends, so Hey! I miss you.
Yes, I have been considering becoming a teacher. I would love to be a positive influence on young people. Also, it is a skill that I can use no matter where in the world I decide to live. (St. Kitts is rather tempting, lol.)
Ha! The joke's on me.
Post a Comment
<< Home